Throbert's Theatre of Thinkologizing main page

THROBERT'S THEATRE of THINKOLOGIZING!



28 June 2008
 

Throbert meets a Gitmo Special!

A commenter wrote to me:

Knock Knock! It's the Irish Twin Gitmo Special!

Why hello there, you special Irish twin from Gitmo, you! (I tried to post this as a comment on your mackers-world blog, but apparently I need to be an approved member, first.)

Anyway, your Bollywood music vid with the wacky English subtitles reminded me of another YouTube clip... let's see if I can find it... ah, here 'tis:

The Arabic song ''Beloved Land'', rudely subtitled in Russian

I don't speak Arabic, but I've been informed by Israeli web-friends that the children are singing in Arabic for Israeli TV, and that the word heard over and over in the chorus is biladi, which means "the land," only with affectionate, patriotic connotations. So you could translate biladi as "this land of my fathers that I love," or somesuch.

Alas, by unfortunate coincidence, biladi happens to sound a lot like the Russian obscenity бляди, which means approximately "filthy fucking whores." (Literally, it just means "whores," but the "filthy fucking" part is implied -- because unlike the English word "whore," the Russian blyad is a cuss word.)

So, as you might guess, the Russian subtitles take that phonetic co-inky-dink and run with it!

Labels: , ,

posted by Throbert | 6/28/2008 11:26:00 PM |
Comments: Post a Comment
throbert says:
me and mine
greatest hits
добро пожаловать на
♪♫♭ ДИСКОТЕКУ ♭♫♪
SUPRÊME!
blogs
links
archives